After over 150 years the restoration of the Victorian East Window installed at Holy Trinity Church in Idle will commence in January 2017.
Holy Trinity Church was built in 1830. The land and stone was donated. In 1864 the grandchildren of Eliza & George Beckett expressed a wish to donate an East Window, in memory of Jonathan & Mary Snowden, with its subject “The Ascension”.
To accommodate this the congregation subscribed to build the Chancel. The window was made by William Wailes of Newcastle and installed into the new Chancel in 1865.
The window is now in need of major repair and restoration. We now are obliged to embark upon this expensive refurbishment of this iconic structure. The window is the central feature of our building interior and helps us focus our worship on Jesus, the central character in the window. It attracts the love, admiration and respect of most who see it.
Taking action now we aim to not only improve its appearance but also protect it from future deterioration and leave a lasting legacy for our successors.
The bill will be anywhere between £33,000 and £40,000 and donations from the public will be most welcome, Vicar Jim taylor said “We are a growing, thriving church who will welcome people’s generosity for our East Window Appeal but we do have funds and the work will be happening no matter what. It’s an exciting time in our history.”
To donate to the appeal, call the Church Office on 01274 615411 or send a cheque marked ‘East Window Appeal’ to the church in Town Lane, Idle, Bradford, BD10 8NS.
Recent press coverage in the Telegraph & Argus
At the time of this wonderful window being planned and installed the following brief history of BRADFORD IN THE 19th CENTURY (taken from www.localhistories.org/bradford.html) gives some context to the development of Bradford including Saltaire, the Wool Exchange and City Hall.
In the late 18th century and early 19th Bradford grew very rapidly. In 1780 it had a population of about 4,500. By 1801 it had more than 6,000 inhabitants. By 1851 the population of Bradford had reached an incredible 103,000. The huge rise in population was partly due to immigration from Germany and Ireland.
The very rapid growth of Bradford meant houses were built in a haphazard fashion. There were no building regulations until 1854 and most working class housing was horrid. There were no sewers or drains and overcrowding was common. Worst of all were the cellar dwellings. Whole families lived in damp, poorly ventilated cellars. Often poor families had no furniture. They used wooden boxes as tables and slept on straw or rags. There were some improvements in Bradford in the 19th century. In 1803 an Act of Parliament formed a group of men called the Improvement Commissioners who had powers to clean the streets and light them with oil lamps. They could also provide a fire engine and a dust cart. After 1823 the streets of Bradford were lit by gas. In 1847 a corporation was formed to run Bradford.
However, like all industrial cities in those days Bradford was dreadfully unsanitary. In 1848-49 420 people died during a cholera epidemic. However life in 19th century Bradford gradually improved. In the 1860s and early 1870s the corporation created a network of drains and sewers. From 1744 a private water company supplied piped water to anyone in Bradford who could pay. The council purchased the company in 1854. After 1854 building regulations improved the quality of new working class houses. (Although appallingly bad dwellings built before then remained for decades). In 1877 Bradford corporation began the work of slum clearance.
In 1853-71 Titus Salt built a model village at Saltaire. The village had decent working class homes, schools and a church. There were other improvements to Bradford during the 19th century. In 1843 an infirmary was built. The first park, Peel Park, opened in 1863. The corporation purchased Peel Park in 1870. The first public library in Bradford opened in 1872. Meanwhile the railway reached Bradford in 1846 and from 1882 horse drawn trams ran in the streets. Electricity was first generated in Bradford in 1889 and in 1898 the first electric trams ran in the streets. The first motor buses in Britain began running in Bradford in 1897.
In 1882 the boundary of Bradford was extended to include Allerton. Then in 1897 Bradford was made a city and the boundary was extended to include Idle and Eccleshill. Furthermore a Wool Exchange was built in Bradford in 1864. City Hall was built in Bradford in 1873.